Snowy Mountains Photography Tour
7 - 14 November 2015
This spring, slow down and discover the rich alpine colours, delightful mist and stunning spring wildflowers of the Snowy Mountains, Australia's roof of the world
The Snowy Mountains is known for its breathtaking snow gums, towering alpine mountains, tumbling brooks and vast lakes. Take some time away from daily life and join Len Metcalf for a photographic journey that will deepen your photography practice.
Accompanied by Len immerse yourself in six full days of shooting on this luxury escape. Discover the best Snowy Mountain locations at the best times to shoot them.
Enjoy gentle, supportive guidance through personalised tuition tailored to your needs and one-on-one instruction while shooting. You will also receive valuable feedback on your photographs from your group in tea-and-critique sessions.
Whether you are a novice or a seasoned enthusiast, this tour is a chance to connect and unwind as you journey through one of Australia’s most awe-inspiring alpine mountain-scapes.
This tour was specifically designed for clients attending the Digital Black and White Photography Workshop as an extension week of photography. But attending this earlier week is not a pre-requisite. This tour is a gentle boutique tour and all are welcome.
8th - 13th November 2015 shooting days
7th & 14th November arrival / preparation and departure days
Snowy Mountains, Adaminaby, NSW, Australia
Drive from Sydney, or arrange for Len to pick you up at the airport
While in the Snowy Mountains we will stay in our own private, well-appointed rooms at Adaminaby, a stone’s throw from our shooting locations.
Accommodation during the tour will be in comfortable, single rooms with a double bed and private en-suite.
A TYPICAL DAY
Days with Len are long and relaxed. On a typical day we will be up early for breakfast before our early morning photo shoot. This may be in time for sunrise or simply the beautiful, soft morning light.
Once we arrive on location you will have plenty of time to arrange yourself, shoot, explore and receive individual guidance from Len. Morning tea in the field will keep us going until late morning when usually we return to our accommodation venue for lunch and a rest.
In the afternoon, feeling refreshed after our relaxing lunch, we will wander out to experience the vast, golden light as it falls gracefully on the snowy mountains. We will return home under starry skies for dinner, evening discussions and valuable group critique sessions.
All of the shoots are optional and locations are open to discussion based on the conditions and the flow of our group. Our itinerary will vary depending on the light and the group – when the light is perfect we might even pack our morning tea, afternoon tea and lunch and spend the whole day in the field.
Due to the nature of the area, you can mainly expect full days out in the field with scrumptious hot lunches on colder days and healthy cold lunches on the hotter ones out in the field.
WALKING AND WEATHER
This is a gentle trip which requires a low level of fitness. We will be walking on paved, gravel or dirt trails which are generally flat and even. If you have any concerns about your level of fitness, please contact Len directly.
The Australian alpine region is a land of extremes. This tour takes into some very remote locations. To photograph it in its myriad moods we need to be prepared for a range of conditions. Temperatures in November generally sit between 10˚C - 25˚C but we can expect to encounter sun, heat (up to 35 degrees), cold (down to - 5 degrees) and rain. The alpine region makes no promises! When you book you will receive a detailed packing list to ensure that you have everything you need to stay comfortable in the alpine environment. Click here to see the packing list.
POSSIBLE LOCATIONS AND SHOOTS
- Snowy River
- Lake Jindabyne
- Eucumbene Dam
- Dead Horse Gap
- Guthega Creek
- Rams Head Range
- High country huts
- The Porcupines
- Glacial lakes
- Snow drifts
- Spring wildflowers
- Tom Groggin
During the tour we will meet regularly as a group to review our work and learn together.
Discussion topics include composition, tone, line, colour theory, black and white, self-critique, studying master landscape photographers and technical camera and processing tips. Discussion topics are guided by the needs of the group.
You will also receive valuable feedback on your photographs from your group in tea-and-critique sessions. Often these insights help you take your photography to the next level.
We will stop our tour for half a day and spend time evaluating and processing your photographs. We do this near the middle of the tour, so you can utlisie your encouraging feedback and new skills during the remainder of the tour. This also serves as a rest afternoon from being out all day shooting.
We support local businesses and experience the best in local cuisine by dining in local restaurants, hotel bistros, coffee shops and pubs. In the field we will bring delicious picnic lunches. We can cater to dietary needs such as gluten free and vegetarian, please let us know in advance. You may even get one of Len's stunning home cooked meals.
We will travel in an air-conditioned 4WD vehicle or small mini bus / van, well suited to the alpine conditions. If you have any questions or concerns about transport please contact Len.
WHAT TO BRING
There are a few key things that you will need to get the most out of the week:
- Camera equipment
- Laptop with latest Adobe Lightroom software (recommended)
- Plenty of external memory
- Wet weather clothing
- Sun protection
- Clothing for cold and warm temperatures
- Travel and medical insurance + Ambulance cover for duration of tour
- Day pack/camera pack
Leonard Metcalf is a qualified and experienced trekking guide with 30 years of experience guiding groups to remote destinations. He knows what you need to keep yourself comfortable in the harshest environments on earth.
- Six full days shooting
- All your accommodation or none as per the package you choose
- All lunches and plus nutritious snacks. Breakfast and dinner is included with the accommodation package only. Alcohol and extra coffees are not included but are available for purchase.
- All transport ex Adaminaby - ex Sydney available for those that also attend the Digital Black and White Photography Workshop
- Extra nights accommodation for those attending the Digital Black and White Photography Workshop
- Your National Park fees
- Small groups limited to 6 participants
- Qualified, experienced wilderness guide, Len Metcalf
- One-on-one instruction and guidance from fine art photographer and veteran educator Len Metcalf (see his bio here)
- Len’s unique and gentle teaching style, which supports you and helps you develop as an artist.
- Personalised itineraries: be involved in open, group decision-making throughout the tour. Learn how to select the best locations at the best times.
- Plenty of time to shoot at each location.
- Calm, relaxing atmosphere, encouraging engagement and connection with the landscape
- Participate in group lessons and critique sessions each evening so that you can apply new skills and techniques to your practice the next day
- Gain valuable insights into computer processing software that will make your photos sing
- Suitable for all levels from absolute beginners to professionals
- Transport to and from Adaminaby prior to and after the tour (exceptions noted in inclusions)
- Accommodation and meals if choosing the package without accommodation and meals
- Miscellaneous drinks and alcoholic beverages
- Travel insurance (required). Click here for more information.
“Thank you, Len. It’s been a wonderful week. You’ve been the perfect Pied Piper - a mine of information, freely given, a knowen of beautiful places, an unobtrusive and supportive teacher, sensitive to everyone’s needs, one of life’s truly good people. I hope to stay in touch with you and come along for the ride again sometime”
— Sarah Fitzherbert
“You were such a fabulous tour leader and looked after us so so so well!!! I never saw you show any sign of anything other than care and concern. Thank you! ”
— Fiona Huddleston
SNOWY MOUNTAINS PHOTOGRAPHY TOUR INVESTMENT
AUD1650 - includes six day tour, personalised tuition with Len Metcalf and delicious lunches and snacks, and transport, national parks fees
AUD3500 - includes six day tour, private room in our accommodation venue and all meals, personalised tuition with Len Metcalf, transport, national parks fees
AUD1000 deposit will secure your place for the accommodation included option
AUD500 deposit will secure your place for the bare bones option