Flinders ranges photography tour
Flinders Ranges with Len
14th - 25th August 2017
This spring, slow down and discover the rich colours, textures and light of Australia’s southern desert.
The Flinders Ranges in South Australia are renowned for their striking geological formations, diverse wildlife and the spectacular jagged bluffs of Wilpena Pound. Take some time away from daily life and join Len Metcalf for a photographic journey that will deepen your photography practice.
Accompanied by Len immerse yourself in eight full days of shooting on this luxury escape. Discover the best Flinders locations at the best times to shoot them.
Enjoy gentle, supportive guidance through personalised tuition tailored to your needs and one-on-one instruction while shooting. You will also receive valuable feedback on your photographs from your group in tea-and-critique sessions.
Whether you are a novice or a seasoned enthusiast, this tour is a chance to connect and unwind as you journey through one of Australia’s most awe-inspiring landscapes.
14th August 2017 - Fly into Adeliade
15th - 24th 2017 August - Flinders Ranges
25th August 2017 - Fly home
Flinders Ranges & Gammon Ranges, South Australia.
Fly to Adelaide. Your air-conditioned 4wd will pick you up from the airport, town center or hotel.
We recommend that you arrive in Adelaide on the 14th August 2017 and stay overnight so we can pick you up early in the morning. We also recommend you stay in Adelaide on the night of the 24th and fly home on the 25th.
While in the Flinders Ranges we will stay in our own private, well-appointed rooms at Wilpena Pound Resort or Rawnsley Park Station, a stone’s throw from our shooting locations, then we will move to Arkaroola Resort and wilderness sanctuary, in the Central Flinders Ranges.
Accommodation during the tour and en route will be in comfortable, single rooms with your own en-suite.
A TYPICAL DAY
Days with Len are long and relaxed. On a typical day we will be up early for breakfast before our early morning photo shoot. This may be in time for sunrise or simply the beautiful, soft morning light.
Once we arrive on location you will have plenty of time to arrange yourself, shoot, explore and receive individual guidance from Len. Morning tea in the field will keep us going until late morning when usually we return to our accommodation venue for lunch and a rest.
In the afternoon, feeling refreshed after our relaxing lunch, we will wander out to experience the vast, golden sunsets over the Flinders Ranges. We will return home under starry skies for dinner, evening discussions and valuable group critique sessions.
All of the shoots are optional and locations are open to discussion based on the conditions and the flow of our group. Our itinerary will vary depending on the light and the group – when the light is perfect we might even pack our morning tea, afternoon tea and lunch and spend the whole day in the field.
WALKING AND WEATHER
This is a gentle trip which requires a low level of fitness. We will be walking on paved, gravel or dirt trails which are generally flat and even. If you have any concerns about your level of fitness, please contact Len directly.
The Australian desert is a land of extremes. This tour takes you into some very remote locations. To photograph it in its myriad moods we need to be prepared for a range of conditions. Temperatures in September generally sit between 7˚C - 22˚C but we can expect to encounter sun, heat (up to 35 degrees), cold and rain. The desert makes no promises! When you book you will receive a detailed packing list to ensure that you have everything you need to stay comfortable in the desert environment. Click here to see the packing list.
POSSIBLE LOCATIONS AND SHOOTS
- Razorback lookout
- Bunyaroo Valley
- Wilpena Pound
- Brachina Gorge
- Moralana scenic drive
- Rawnsley Station
- Glass Gorge
- Chase Range
- Arkaroola’s world famous ridge top tour area
- Bolla Bollana Springs
- Arkaroola Creek
- Bararranna Gorge
- Arkaroola Waterhole
- Ochre Wall
- Chambers Gorge
- Illinawotina Pound
- Weetootla Gorge
- Balcanoona Gorge
During the tour we will meet regularly as a group to review our work and learn together.
Discussion topics include composition, tone, line, colour theory, black and white, self-critique, studying master landscape photographers and technical camera and processing tips. Discussion topics are guided by the needs of the group.
You will also receive valuable feedback on your photographs from your group in tea-and-critique sessions. Often these insights help you take your photography to the next level.
We support local businesses and experience the best in local cuisine by dining in local restaurants, hotel bistros, coffee shops and pubs. In the field we will bring delicious picnic lunches. We can cater to dietary needs such as gluten free and vegetarian, please let us know in advance. You may even get one of Len's stunning home cooked meals.
We will travel in an air-conditioned 4WD vehicle, well suited to the rugged outback conditions. This will be our second home on the trip as we will be covering some big distances. If you have any questions or concerns about transport please contact Len.
Day 1 - early morning pick up and drive to the Flinders Ranges
Day 2 - continue to Arkaroola - Gammon Ranges
Days 3-5 Shoot around Arkaroola
Day 6 Shoot and change venues to the Flinders Ranges
Days 7 - 9 Shoot around Wilpena Pound
Day 10 Return to Adelaide
* note: intended itinerary - this is subject to possible changes
WHAT TO BRING
There are a few key things that you will need to get the most out of the week:
- Camera equipment
- Laptop with latest Adobe Lightroom software (recommended)
- Wet weather clothing
- Sun protection
- Clothing for cold and warm temperatures
- Travel and medical insurance + Ambulance cover for duration of tour
- Day pack/camera pack
Leonard Metcalf is a qualified and experienced trekking guide with 30 years of experience guiding groups to remote destinations. He knows what you need to keep yourself comfortable in the harshest environments on earth.
- Eight days shooting plus two days travel between Adelaide and the Flinders Ranges
- All your accommodation
- All breakfasts, lunches and dinners plus nutritious snacks. Alcohol and extra coffees are not included but are available for purchase.
- All transport ex Adelaide
- Your National Park fees
- Small groups limited to 6 participants
- Qualified, experienced wilderness guide, Len Metcalf
- One-on-one instruction and guidance from fine art photographer and veteran educator Len Metcalf (see his bio here)
- Len’s unique and gentle teaching style, which supports you and helps you develop as an artist.
- Personalised itineraries: be involved in open, group decision-making throughout the tour. Learn how to select the best locations at the best times.
- Plenty of time to shoot at each location.
- Calm, relaxing atmosphere, encouraging engagement and connection with the landscape
- Participate in group lessons and critique sessions each evening so that you can apply new skills and techniques to your practice the next day
- Gain valuable insights into computer processing software that will make your photos sing
- Suitable for all levels from absolute beginners to professionals
- Eight full shooting days on the extension tour + two travelling / short stop shooting days
- Transport to and from Adelaide airport prior to and after the tour
- Accommodation and meals in Adelaide
- Miscellaneous drinks and alcoholic beverages
- Travel insurance (required). Click here for more information.
"I just wanted to tell you how wonderful the trip to the Flinders Ranges was for me. I can not thank you enough for your patience and tutoring during the trip.
Every time I look at those photos I remember how many times you stopped and waited for me to get the photos I wanted and helped me with composition and techniques.
I look forward to seeing you again sometime in the future, hopefully on another tour."
- Kerri Turner
FLINDERS RANGES PHOTOGRAPHY TOUR INVESTMENT
AUD8500 - includes ten day tour, private room, personalised tuition with Len Metcalf and delicious meals, airport transfers and transport, national parks fees
AUD1000 deposit will secure your place
Photographs from the 2014 flinders ranges tour
Copyright © Leonard Metcalf 2014